If you are like us, creating beautiful Power BI reports doesn’t come easy. Mara Pereira joins us to show us where to start to get amazing and beautiful Power BI reports even with no designer background.
Creating a beautiful Power BI report involves a blend of data visualization best practices, design principles, and Power BI specific features. Here are a few steps to guide you:
- Data Preparation: This is the first and the most crucial step. Clean, organize and structure your data properly. This will significantly influence the quality of your report.
- Choose the Right Visuals: Power BI offers a range of visuals like bar charts, pie charts, maps, etc. Choose the one that best represents your data. Remember, the goal is to communicate information effectively and not just create something that looks fancy.
- Use a Consistent Color Scheme: Consistency in colors makes your report look professional and easy to read. If your organization has a specific color scheme or if you are reporting on a specific topic, use colors that match that theme.
- Avoid Clutter: Don't overcrowd your report with too many visuals or too much data. The report should be easy to understand at a glance. Use filters and drill-down options to provide more detailed information.
- Use Custom Visuals: Power BI has a gallery of custom visuals created by others. You can use these to enhance your report. But be careful, as some custom visuals might not be as well supported or as performant as the standard visuals.
- Consider Accessibility: Make sure your report is accessible for all users. This includes things like proper color contrast and providing text alternatives for visuals.
- Use Power BI Features: Power BI has many features like bookmarks, drillthroughs, tooltips, etc. that can make your report more interactive and user-friendly.
- Include Title and Annotations: Make sure each visual has a clear and descriptive title. Also, include annotations to highlight important points or to provide additional explanations.
- Feedback and Iteration: After creating the report, get feedback from the users and iterate on it. This is the best way to improve the quality of your report.
Remember, the goal of a Power BI report is not just to be beautiful, but to effectively communicate data. A beautiful report that doesn't clearly convey its message is not a good report.