The text discusses Azure App Client Secret Expiry via Power Automate or Logic Apps. It outlines the importance of Azure App Registration in modern application architecture, enabling secure communication between apps and services. The keys linked with these registrations, including client secrets or key certificates, come with an expiration date and non-renewal can result in service disruptions and security vulnerabilities.
Power Automate and Graph API were traditionally used to handle this. However, this usually involved complex, time-consuming loops and key array iterations, leading to the potential for performance bottlenecks. While setting up notifications for client secret expiry might not be an immediate priority, understanding these concepts is crucial in enhancing workflow efficiency within Power Automate. A solution is proposed here, combining the capabilities of Power Automate and Graph API in a unique way by using XML and XPath. The prime objective is to recognize and track app registrations with keys about to expire in 30 days and send proactive alerts to their owners.
- 00:00 Intro
- 00:52 Azure App Registration
- 01:13 Graph API Endpoint
- 01:38 Graph Explorer
- 02:50 Power Automate Flow History / Demo
- 04:35 Logic Apps and new Flow Designer
- 05:43 Explaining the solution
- 07:34 Obtaining pages from API till sufficient
- 10:44 Converting JSON to XML
- 11:43 Creating XPath expressions
- 15:41 Querying XML via XPath
- 17:55 Calculating the date difference of expiry
- 19:02 Getting upcoming expiring passwords / keys
- 19:47 Identifying the App Owners
- 21:57 Outro
Focusing on Azure App Client Secret Expiry management
The main topic here is about managing the expiry of Azure App Client Secrets using Power Automate or Logic Apps. Given the secure communication provided by Azure App Registration, it's crucial to monitor their keys and renew them in time. The coupled use of Power Automate and Graph API is shown to ease up the traditionally complex process by leveraging XML and XPath. This optimized approach aids in early identification of set-to-expire keys and generate proactive alerts for their respective owners.
Learn about Azure App Client Secret Expiry via Power Automate or Logic Apps
The main topic is about efficient and secure management of Azure App Registrations, particularly regarding the expiration of client secrets or key certificates. This becomes crucial as failing to renew these keys on time could cause service disruptions and security vulnerabilities. Traditional approaches using Graph API and Power Automate tend to be complex and potentially slow. The author suggests a solution that optimizes this process by leveraging the capabilities of Power Automate and the Graph API, using XML and XPath, to identify and monitor app registrations with keys that are set to expire within the next 30 days and proactively notify their owners.
More links on about Azure App Client Secret Expiry via Power Automate or Logic Apps
- Use Power Automate to Notify of Upcoming Azure AD App ...
- Jun 1, 2021 — Use Power Automate to Notify of Upcoming Azure AD App Client Secrets and Certificate Expirations · The first step in the Do until loop uses the ...
- Use Azure Logic Apps to Notify of Pending AAD ...
- Nov 29, 2021 — Use Azure Logic Apps to Notify of Pending AAD Application Client Secrets and Certificate Expirations · Logging into your Azure Portal and search ...
- Get notified on expiring Azure App Registration client secrets
- I would like to get a notification a few weeks before one of these secrets will expire, but I don't see an out-of-the-box solution for this. So of course I came ...
- Azure : Using Logic Apps to Monitor ...
- Jan 13, 2023 — The client secret expiration date can only be set to maximum of 24 months. We cannot set a client secret that will never expire due to security ...
- Azure AD app registration secrets: a quick script to check ...
- Jan 28, 2022 — A client secret has an expiration date that now (from the Azure Portal) can be set to 24 months as maximum: · The option “Never” (for creating a ...
- Using Logic Apps to Monitor Azure App Registration ...
- Jan 13, 2023 — Azure : Using Logic Apps to Monitor Azure App Registration ... The client secret expiration date can only be set to maximum of 24 months.
- Guide to monitoring client secrets and certificates with Azure
- Sep 29, 2022 — Prevent resource owner credentials from expiring in a few quick steps using PowerShell, Automation Runbook, Logic Apps, and Log Analytics.
- Alert on Azure app registration client secret expiry
- Mar 20, 2023 — We have built a custom solution to get notified whenever an Azure app registration client secret is close to expiring.
- Monitoring Expiry of AD App Registration Secrets Using ...
- May 11, 2023 — Explore how to monitor the expiry of AD App Registration secrets in Azure using PowerShell, automation accounts, and SendGrid for ...
Microsoft expert Azure app registration, Power Automate complex data handling, Graph API and Power Automate efficiency, Microsoft Logic Apps for application architecture, Power Automate and Graph API integration