In this video, Nate discusses how to submit data that has Polymorphic fields, and how to display those Polymorphic values inside your Canvas Apps!
Canvas Apps, Record References and Polymorphic Lookups
When working with canvas apps, you often deal with records downloaded from data sources. You can identify specific records using functions like LookUp and Filter or the Gallery control's Selected property.
Just like a reference in a research paper, record references in canvas apps refer to a record without containing a complete copy of it. You can have references to records in any table, even mixing them in a single column.
- Record references can be compared with each other and full records.
- A record reference's value can be set with the Patch function.
- You can't access the fields of a record reference directly. You must first determine the table type with the IsType function and then use .Field notation on the result of the AsType function.
Table type refers to the unique structure of fields within a table. Two records have the same table type if they come from the same table.
Note: In Power Apps Studio, columns in Microsoft Dataverse are referred to as fields. The term "column" is only used when referring to a column inside Dataverse.
Microsoft Dataverse supports relationships between records and polymorphic lookups, which can refer to a record from any table in a set.
- Each record in the Accounts table has a Primary Contact lookup column to a record in the Contacts table.
- The Owner column can refer to a record in the Users table or the Teams table.
- Polymorphic lookups don't always specify the available columns.
Record references in canvas apps are designed for working with polymorphic lookups in Dataverse but can be used outside this context too.
More links on about Polymorphic Data Types in Canvas Apps
- Understand record references and polymorphic lookups in ...
- Dec 15, 2022 — Learn about how to work with record references and polymorphic lookups in canvas apps.
- Working with Polymorphic data in Canvas Apps: Power Apps
- Apr 26, 2021 — In this #PowerShot, I will show you how to work with polymorphic data in canvas apps in Power Apps. We will take a look at different types ...
- Polymorphic Complex Form Fields in Canvas Apps – Part 1
- Jun 8, 2021 — In this blog, we will try to explain polymorphic complex fields and how they behave when added in a form in a Canvas application. First things ...
- How to perform read & write operations with Polymorphic ...
- We will learn and understand to perform read & write operations with Polymorphic lookup in Canvas App. Before we start, make sure to subscribe to CRM.
- Working with Complex Data Types in Canvas Apps using ...
- Jul 6, 2020 — Working with Complex Data Types in Canvas Apps using Common Data Service (Current) Connector – Lookups & Polymorphic Lookups.
- How to work with polymorphic lookups in Dataverse
- Feb 4, 2022 — Learn what are Dataverse polymorphic lookups and how to display values of polymorphic lookups in canvas apps!
- Canvas App | Nested Galleries using polymorphic lookup ...
- Feb 27, 2023 — In this article, lets learn how to apply a filter on polymorphic lookup in Canvas App. What is a polymorphic lookup in Dataverse: Dataverse ...
Polymorphism, Canvas Apps, Microsoft Teams, Power BI, Power Apps, Azure, On-Demand Learning, FREE Community Plan, Pragmatic Works On-Demand Learning, Pragmatic Works Boot Camps, Pragmatic Works Hackathons