In this 9-minute developer-focused demo, Kasper Bo Larsen discusses SharePoint storage and how to reduce its usage and cost. He explains how storage usage is calculated and provides methods to minimize SharePoint Storage consumption proactively by reducing the number of versions stored and reactively using scripts to calculate potential storage savings and trim files.
- Demo Presenter: Kasper Bo Larsen (Fellowmind)
- Community Call Conversation: aka.ms/June22-Demo2
- Supporting materials include articles, script samples, and documentation.
Further discussion on SharePoint Storage
This demo is part of the Microsoft 365 & Power Platform Development Community, which provides various resources including samples, video content, and productive discussions. Their unified sample gallery, YouTube channel, and main platform site are valuable sources for understanding and implementing practices to efficiently use and manage SharePoint storage. They encourage sharing and learning, with the goal of helping each member to excel in their work.
Learn about Trimming SharePoint file versions to reduce Storage costs
SharePoint storage costs can be reduced by trimming file versions and using retention policies. It is important to understand how usage is calculated and what storage costs involve, in order to minimize SharePoint Storage consumption. Proactively, the number of versions saved can be reduced, and scripts can be used to calculate potential storage reduction results and trim files. The PowerShell Remove-PnPFileVersion function can be used to delete versions and the Microsoft 365 & Power Platform Community provides a range of sample galleries, videos and documentation to help users learn more about the topic.
More links on about Trimming SharePoint file versions to reduce Storage costs
- Limit Versioning and Delete Old Versions in SharePoint
- Limit number of versions in SharePoint with PowerShell. PowerShell comes to rescue again! Here is the code to delete the older versions, except the last 5 major ...
- Versioning is killing our storage - is this a normal behaviour?
- May 23, 2023 — 1. As Juan Carlos suggested reduce the number of versions. 2. Use the OOTB reporting to find storage "hotspots" and then delete all versions.
- After adjusting version settings (from unlimited to max 10) ...
- Nov 23, 2011 — In the affected site collection, click on the Storage Space Allocation link in Site Settings. From there, click on the Documents link.
- Sample on a report showing how much SharePoint ...
- Sample on a report showing how much SharePoint Storage you can save by trimming document versions once the site is no longer active. Summary.
- InfoWorld - Mar 19, 2001 - Page 53 - Google Books Result
- Much of this reduction was realized by trimming seldom- Save document as ... Web Storage System, and Microsoft's SharePoint Portal Server (aka Tahoe).
- Professional Microsoft Search: FAST Search, SharePoint ...
- FAST Search, SharePoint Search, and Search Server Mark Bennett, Jeff Fried, ... Allows you to reduce the storage cost by utilizing the index stored in ...
- InfoWorld - Jan 24, 2005 - Page 16 - Google Books Result
- Company slims down vision; gives glimpse of next version Red Hat says it plans ... next version of Exchange, code- named Exchange 12, will aim to cut costs, ...
SharePoint storage, storage costs, trimming file versions, PowerShell Remove-PnPFileVersion, retention policy, DeleteVersions function