There are three best practices you should know when working in data in Power BI. Learn about them with Anna Hoffman, and stars of Guy in a Gube, Adam Saxton and Patrick LeBlanc, this week on Data Exposed.
- 0:00 Introduction
- 1:55 Demo: Query folding
- 5:14 Demo: Star schema
- 7:33 Demo: Visuals
- Query folding - Power Query:
- Understand star schema and the importance for Power BI:
- Consolidating report elements for improved performance:
PowerBI Topics that you you should have in mind
- Data Modeling: The data model is the foundation of any Power BI solution and should be designed with scalability, performance, and flexibility in mind. When building a data model for Power BI, it’s important to consider how the data will be consumed by users; what visualizations they may need; and which calculations or measures are required to support those visuals.
- Security & Governance: It’s critical to understand who has access to your organization’s sensitive information within Power BI solutions. Applying security roles at an individual user level can ensure that each person only has access to the report pages and datasets that pertain directly to their job responsibilities. Furthermore, setting up governance policies such as regularly scheduled refreshes can help keep your reports up-to-date with accurate information from the source systems.
- Automation & Optimization: Automating processes like refreshing datasets on schedules or triggering email notifications when a report page renders can save time and optimize resources in large organizations where people rely heavily on reporting tools like PowerBI for day-to-day operations . Additionally, optimization techniques such as query folding/reduction or partitioning/clustering tables into smaller chunks can drastically improve query performance times while running complex queries against large datasets stored in Azure SQL databases or other cloud storage options (Azure Blob Storage).
More links on about Power Platform/Power BI
Feb 23, 2022 — This guide covers the 29 best practices you need to improve your Power BI security, performance, and design. As the 2021 Microsoft Power BI ...
Mar 30, 2022 — 1. Keep it simple · 2. The layout · 3. Tooltips · 4. Dynamic chart titles · 5. Page navigation · 6. Buttons · 7. Help tutorials · 8. Negative KPIs.
7 days ago — The Power BI service follows the Security Development Lifecycle (SDL), strict security practices that support security assurance and compliance ...